Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Catching up!

Please forgive me for the massive post, but I have a lot to catch up on! It had been my intention to blog once a week, but it seems to be happening once every 1-2 months! I do hope to get back on the roll with that soon.

Well, we are still cloth diapering and loving it! The only complaint I have had so far is trying to figure out the best wash routine. Not really a complaint but just trying to figure out what works best with our hard water to make sure the diapers don't leak or smell! I am loving cloth diapering and must admit that I am a bit addicted to it.

Here is one of our very favorite brands: Apple Cheeks! I love the look and the fit.

Here is an ever popular brand, Bum Genius, which I do love very much. It is the most like disposables, so very easy to use.

And this is our favorite nap and night time diaper, the Thirsties duo diaper. There are two nice things about this diaper: 1. It only comes in two sizes so it has a good fit but isn't as bulky as a one size fits all type diaper. You don't have to buy a bunch of different sizes either to get that good fit. 2. You don't have to take the inserts out of the pocket to wash. It has openings on both ends of the diaper, so it just comes out in the wash! Very convenient. It's also super absorbent which is why we use it for naps and night.

We planted our first garden in the front yard! We started a little too late, so some of the flowers died early on, because we had such a dry spell in Texas. Sydney loved helping Mommy water the flowers with her little watering can. Fortunately the rain is picking up now, so our flowers are doing much better!

Carter started swim lessons this summer, and as you can see, he wasn't too happy about it at first.

About a month or so ago we were swimming at a friend's house and Carter slipped and fell face forward into the pool. It scared him so much that he has been terrified to get into the water.

Fortunately, by about day 4 of swim lessons, he was smiling again! He is doing very well now! I think next summer we will definitely get Sydney started early with swim lessons.

Sydney had her very first plane ride last week! Unfortunately, not under the best of circumstances. My Dad had a heart catheterization and found out that he needed heart bypass surgery right away. Sydney and I flew out to VA together to be with my family during the surgery. Sydney did very well on the way there! She slept on both flights (whew!) I was thankful to have survived that, considering I am now 7 months pregnant! The biggest challenge was having her on my lap the whole time.

We celebrated Dad's 60th birthday the day before the surgery, because his actual birthday was the day after the surgery and we knew he wouldn't be in much of a "party" mood! We were so blessed to have many of our family there together: Joel, Amy and I were all able to be there, which was great to have all three kids together. Amy's husband Walt, my Grandma (Dad's mom), and two of Dad's brother (Mark and Tim), plus Mark's wife Tammy and their son Josiah were all there too!

Mom and Dad also celebrated their 39th wedding anniversary just on the 19th!

Sydney really took to Aunt Tammy! She loved spending time with her, which was a blessing so that I was able to spend time visiting Dad in the ICU while Tammy watched her. Sydney unfortunately was not allowed in the ICU.

Here Sydney was having fun playing peekaboo with Great Grandma!

I couldn't have been more proud of how well behaved Sydney was all week, considering she was confined to either an airport, airplane or hospital waiting room pretty much the entire week!

She not only entertained our family while we waited 9 hours on that first day in the waiting room for Dad to get out of surgery and kept our minds off why we were there... but she also entertained the other families waiting for their loved ones. There was even one family that was waiting for their loved one to pass away (the Doctor had told them it was only a matter of days.) Sydney made them laugh and entertained them as well! She was so sweet and such a blessing to so many people!
Dad did very well with the surgery. They did 5 bypasses. I can't even describe how hard it was to see him that night after the surgery was over. He was still not awake and had the tubes still in. It was very hard. We all cried a lot. But by the next morning, he was talking a mile a minute! Then by that afternoon, the pain began to set in, and the talking subsided. He began to get depressed. It was hard to watch him through the highs and lows. Most of our family left by Tuesday, but Sydney, Grandma and I were still there. We left on Wednesday and Grandma stayed with Mom another week. I'm glad we were able to stay longer and be there for Mom. I know it was so hard for her to watch Dad go through that. The update is that he is now home (was in the hospital for 5.5 days) and doing well with walking and everything! Long road of recovery ahead, but we are all just thankful that he is doing well!

Sydney was SO happy to see Daddy and Carter again! Carter was also happy to see us too I think! Sydney had som fun trying on Daddy's shoes and hat, while sporting one of her Thirsties diapers!

On July 2nd, Steve and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary! Hard to believe it has been 5 years and that we already have baby #3 on the way!

On Sunday, Sydney watched her first fireworks, and wasn't too impressed! She cried a lot, but thankfully we had her bear and blankie to hide her eyes, and that seemed to make it all better!
Whew! That was a lot to catch up on! Hopefully the next post will be a little bit shorter!

No comments:

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
I am a homeschooling mom to four. I just had a VBAC after 3 c-sections this year after I was told I no longer had the choice by my first Doctor. I am a childbirth instructor for Birth Boot Camp. My first class starts January of 2013!